A Brief History: Ford Mansion is located at 30 Washington Place, Morristown New Jersey. The Ford Mansion is a large Georgian style home that was built for an iron manufacturer named Jacob Ford, Jr. and his family in the early 1700s. During the Revolutionary War Ford also served as a Colonel in the Morris County Militia. In January of 1777 Ford died while 35 soldiers from Delaware were briefly quartered in the house. During the winter of 1779-1780 Ford’s widow Theodosia allowed General Washington to use her home as his headquarters. After Washington’s six-month stay, the Ford family continued to live in the house until the 1870’s when it was sold at an auction. The house was bought by four prominent New Jersey men who created the Washington Association of New Jersey in order to preserve the house and display it to the public. In 1933 the Washington Association donated the house and their extensive historic collection to the National Park Service. Today the house is furnished to reflect how it might have appeared during Washington’s stay and is shown by guided tours only.
Haunted History: A paranormal investigator named Gordon Ward has investigated the Ford Mansion and claims to have captured two male voices and three female voices in the mansion. One EVP, or electric voice phenomena is believed to be a female kitchen servant who is heard saying “in the kitchen” when Ward asks “what is your favorite memory?” People have also claimed to have felt unusual cold spots throughout the home.