The following is presented as a synopsis of the current understanding in the
paranormal field of Shadows. It will be updated as new information and theories arise.
The drawings included in this article are based on descriptions of shadow
Also read out article on Shadows and Shadow
Shadow People – Ghost/spirit like person that looks like a black shadow, but you can not see through it.
Characteristics of a Shadow Person:
- Male-like though gender is not obvious.
- Could be female in nature, but very rare.
- Usually very tall like 7 feet, but can be short.
- Usually seen in a trench coat/cloak, or old fashion type over coat.
- Usually has a big hat: Example top hat.
- 3-D in shape or opaque.
- No eyes, though occasionally red eyes have been reported but rare.
- Extremely fast almost like lightning speed.
- Usually very silent.
- Seem to have mass.
- Seem to be able to defy common laws of physics (ex: can move through walls).
- Can look spirit like/demonic.
Classifications of Shadow People:
- Bedroom Invaders:
Sentinels: They stand in corners of rooms and watch you (usually found in corners, doorways, or closets).
Lurkers: They will lurk around a house in bedrooms and hallways watching you.
Predators: Very rare type. The fear builds up and then disappears. There is a
threat of injury and aggressive behavior, but there are no physical injuries. You may feel like your suffocating, or being pinched.
- Visitors: Seem like they are from another world or other than human.
- MTB (Mind Their own Business): They show up on pathways. They are usually seen
walking down hallways, pathways etc. They usually follow a track or specific path. They seem like they are going somewhere. They seem to have an objective,
with or without the presence of humans.
- Omens: They are associated with bad luck, or death. They get attached to people or families. The person’s feelings of bad luck will
not go away unless the shadow person goes away. If you see an Omen you may go bankrupt, a break up with a boyfriend/girlfriend, divorce, loss of job
etc. Omens may show up in your bedroom.
- Haunters: Lurk around haunted locations. Example: Waverly Hills Sanitarium in Kentucky.
Characteristics of Shadow People Hauntings:
- They react when there observed. (When you notice them they’re gone)
- They do not obey physical laws.
- They may walk through walls, ceilings, windows etc.
- Unnaturally fast/Extremely fast.
- Vanish/Fade away quickly.
- They have a sinister aura about them.
- They seem evil in nature.
- They are mischievous, similar to a poltergeist.
- Most of the times you see them when you just wake up from sleeping.
- Shadow people usually follow a distinct pathway. Shadow people usually follow the same pathway every time.
- They will watch you when you are working or sleeping, when the lights are dim or dark.
- They sometimes watch over you while you are doing an investigation, but they will stay out of the view of the cameras.
- Shadow People do not like to have their picture taken. They will disappear when you notice them.
- If there are animals present they will react negatively. Example: Cats will hiss, dogs will bark etc.
- If a shadow person is seen in a particular area, animals will keep away from that area. Some people think that shadow people leave a residue behind.
- Most people who believe they have seen a shadow person have felt fear, terror, panic etc.
- Shadow people like to peak around doorways, windows, walls, trees, bushes etc.
Statements about Shadow People:
- Shadow People are not human.
- Some people have said that “It knows how to get you”. People are completely
terrified when coming in contact with a shadow person. Possible reason for this is sleep paralysis.
- They watch you from the woods. They look tall, big, and dark. These types of shadow people are in Indian legends.
- Shadow people have been around for a long period of time. They are in other cultures that have been around for a while.
- Shadow people are in the woods looking for you or a house etc. If they are in the woods they can enter into your house.
- Shadow people like to follow man-made trails, or a track.
- Shadow people show up in basements of a building/house.
- Shadow people may be linked/tied to a location or place. They stay there.
Most Common Questions Asked about Shadow People:
Why are they watching us?
- They are curious about us.
- They like to scare us.
- They are studying us.
Are Shadow People ghosts?
Answer: NO, shadow people are not ghosts. They appear
to be another category or class of paranormal entity.
Possible Explanations of Shadow People:
- Ghosts: Some people may mistake a shadow person for a ghost and vise versa.
- Astral Spirits/Astral Projection: When a person leaves their body at there own free will by meditation.
- Shape Shifter Entities: Take on human form to be accepted in our world.
- Demons: Some people think that because of the fear, panic, and terror you feel
when you come in contact with a shadow person that it’s demonic. Some people also think that shadow people are the pawns (lowest level) of the demon list. Other people do not think shadow people are demonic they think that there just
another type of haunting.
- Old Hag (nightmare visitations): There are some people that experience bad
dreams that relate to shadow people. An explanation of this could be
sleep paralysis, because when the person wakes up they feel paralyzed,
suffocating, choked etc. They also feel threatened, terrified, panic
etc, which are all signs relating to sleep paralysis.
- Thought Forms: This is where entities could rise out of human thought. The
spirit also arises from emotional thoughts, or emotional events. Many people
think that shadow people do not fit into this category.
- Ultra Terrestrials: Considered to be the Moth Man. Moth Man lives in other dimensions
but is earth oriented. Shadow people may fit into this category.
- Extra Terrestrials: Aliens or alien abductions. Some people think that there is a
connection between extra terrestrials and shadow people. Some say that the
shadow people are the drones of the alien world. They are here to spy on us in
order to get information to pass back to the extra terrestrials.
- Men in Black: They show up at locations usually at night after an event takes place. Example: UFO crash. They usually terrorize you by threatening you to not talk about the event.
Dealing with "Shadow People" Haunting:
How do you get rid of a Shadow Person?
- Prayer often helps
- Spiritual Cleansing
- Emotional Harmony: Change in your emotional state to positive
- Change in Environment: Sleep with the lights on. (Light energy may disrupt a shadow person’s energy.
Drawings of Shadow People:
Some Shadow People may look like a blob
Ex: Some investigators claim to see this at Waverly Hills Sanatorium.
They call it “Big Black”.
Shadow People are 6-7 feet tall. Many descriptions that people have given of
shadow people is that they have a cloak or trench coat like jacket with an old
fashioned top hat. These are seen usually standing in doorways or from a
distance watching you.
Female Shadow Person
Their height is usually from 5.5 feet to 6 feet
Human-like Shadow Person (Big)
Extremely tall from 7-8 feet
They usually watch you but when you notice them there gone.
Seen at Revolutionary War location.
Also these are the ones that usually lurk over your bed while you sleep.
Human-like Shadow Person
Smaller than other Shadow People
From about 4.5 feet to 5.5 feet
These are somewhat common
watch you from the woods.
look tall, big, and dark.
These types of shadow people are in Indian legends.
They may watch you from outside of your house.
They may enter into your house from the woods
shadow people hang out in doorways and watch you.
Or they may peer at you from around the sides and corners of a doorway.
These shadow people are called "Sentinels".
Sentinel shadow people may also watch you from the corner of a room.
There aren’t many people who specialize in the field of shadow people. One of the specialists that we recommend is:
long island new york ny paranormal ghost spirit investigation demonic evp haunting ghost
haunted investigators group paranormal
Return to Our Paranormal
This site is Copyright © Long Island Paranormal Investigators 2003-2014, All Rights Reserved