» About Us
Equipment We Use
» Haunted Places on LI
Want To Join LIPI?
» Contact Us
» Request An Investigation
Friends of LIPI
» LIPI Online Store
A Brief History: In 1755 Fort William Henry was constructed on the southern end of Lake George in upstate New York. The fort was constructed by the British and colonials to protect the area against French forces and their allies after war broke out between the two longtime rivals. Fort William Henry was constructed as part of a chain of forts along important waterways. The fort was constructed of timber in an irregular square shape. Located in the corners were bastions designed to help repel Native American attacks. The fort was constructed of timber in an irregular square shape. Located in the corners were bastions designed to help repel Native American attacks. Fort William Henry had walls thirty feet thick and a dry moat bed dug around three sides.
In 1757 Lieutenant Colonel George Monro took command of the fort and its 2,300 defenders. They would soon come under siege from French. The brave defenders held out as long as they could while under artillery barrage from the much larger force of 8,000 French soldiers and Indian allies. Eventually when it became clear that no reinforcements would be able to come to their assistance Monro surrendered to the French General, Louis-Joseph de Montcalm. Out of respect for their determined resistance, the defenders were allowed to retreat to Fort Edward. However, they were ambushed upon leaving the fortification by Native American warriors who didn’t wish to follow the terms of surrender and resulted in losses placed somewhere between 69 to 184 men, or 7.5% of the defenders. The French then burned down the fort. Later, in the 1950s it was reconstructed on the site following the architect’s blue prints.
Haunted History: With the events that occurred in the area it should not be surprising that Fort William Henry is host to tales of the paranormal. Many people claim to hear what sounds to be the footsteps of sentries patrolling the walls of the fort. Some people have claimed to hear what sounded like screams coming from the field hospital of the fort where wounded troops were massacred by invading Indian forces. Apparitions of soldiers have been said to be seen inside the barracks building. These events, and many others lead some people to speculate that when the British and colonial forces retreated from the fort in the fall of the 1757, perhaps some in the form of spirits stayed behind, still defending their fortification.
A Brief History: In the late 1600s, Huron Indians were executed and tortured on the grounds where the House of Frankenstein sits. In the late 1700s, English Colonists used these grounds for the town gallows. There is an estimated total of over 1000 people who lost their lives at this very spot. In the late 1800s a private residence was built on this location. Two brothers owned the house and became troubled and committed suicide in the house. The house sat abandoned for years and in 1973, the house was demolished. About a year later, in 1974 a group of Canadians built the structure located at 213 Canada Street Lake George, NY and the House of Frankenstein opened it’s doors, and still remained open. The House of Frankenstein was the first wax museum and haunted attraction in Lake George.
Haunted History: Employees have claimed to have seen a female apparition walking around, and then disappear. There have been numerous cold spots felt throughout the building. After closing up and all of the guests have left the building, employees have claimed that they can hear footsteps walking up and down the stairs. Some guests have claimed to have had feelings of dread and sadness as they walk through the wax museum. There have also been claims of seeing shadowing figures roaming the hallways. So next time your in Lake George stop in the House of Frankenstein Wax Museum and maybe you will experience a little more than you bargained for.
A Brief History: The battle of Lake George, not to be confused with the battle of Fort William Henry. The Battle of Lake George took place on Sept 8, 1755 between French, Indian, Canadian and British forces. The battle is nothing more than 2 separate engagements throughout the day. The first engagement was called the “Bloody Morning Scout”. It was an ambush the French and Indian forces set up on a rough road. The French and Indian forces fired on the British and Indian forces. The Mohawk war chief and ally to the British, King Hendrick was killed along with the British commander Col. Williams. Nathan Whiting assumes command and orders the British to retreat. More British troops have heard of this engagement and have come to the rescue. They have set up cannons and barricades waiting for the French. The French arrive at noon and a large fight breaks out. It is the French this time who are beaten back. The second engagement called “Bloody Pond” took place. 300 New Hampshire and New York colonials ambushed French and Indian forces just south of the present day town at a small pond. The colonials through the bodies of the Indians and Canadians into the pond turning the water red from all the blood. By 5:00p.m. the Battle of Lake George was over. It is estimated that the British suffer 216 killed and 96 wounded. However the French losses are estimated close to 800. The battle was the first British victory against the French thus far in the war.
Haunted History: There are many paranormal claims associated with the battlefield. People have reported seeing phantom soldiers or Regiments on the field. People have reported hearing cannon fire or gunshots. Paranormal investigators have recorded lots of EVPs and there are also claims of seeing a smoky form by the King Hendrick monument.
A Brief History: Located at 75 Dieskau Street in Lake George New York holds a lot of history through the years. The old Victorian style house was built in the late 1800s, and was owned by African Americans Samuel and Dorothy McPhearsen. During the 1920s Lake George was still a segregated town, so there were many African Americans that could not stay in the white owned hotels in the area, so they stayed in the Woodbine Hotel. Many of there guests at the Woodbine Hotel consisted of African American tourists, African American wait staff and servants who worked in the white owned hotels, and also some famous people who have been known to have stayed there is Duke Ellington, Count Basie and even Sammy Davis Jr. Its is also said that a white captain passing through the town had stayed there for a short time period.
In February of 1928 there was a KKK rally on Route 9 to protest against the congressman to keep segregation and deny rights to African Americans, who lived in that area. By the end of 1928, the Supreme Court ruled against the KKK protest and granted the rights to all men, whichever race has the right to be free of harassment and should be able to live a safe lifestyle. After this Supreme Court ruling was held, the KKK started to decline in power for the rally of segregation.
In 2006 owners John and Terri Case moved the Lemon Peel Lounge that used to be on Canada Street since the late 1980s, to the old Woodbine Hotel. The Lemon Peel Lounge is used as a Bar and is opened from 3p.m. to 4a.m. Many guests who go there for a drink have a good time and enjoy the atmosphere.
Haunted History: It is said that Mrs. McPhearsen haunts this location. People have claimed that when you walk into the building if you do not acknowledge Mrs. McPhearsen, by saying hello, she will knock things off of the shelves until she is acknowledged. People have also claimed that Captain Langpheat haunts this location. While walking down the street looking at the house at the 2nd floor window, you can see an old captain open up the curtain to see if anyone is there. There have also been claims of seeing an Abenaki Indian Chief. Guests have also claimed to have felt cold spots in the building. Employees have claimed that the telephone would ring every morning at 3a.m. even after the phone was unplugged.
A Brief History: The Lobster Pot Restaurant was built in the 1970s and is located at 81 Canada Street in Lake George New York. The restaurant has some of the best seafood and steak dinners you can find in Lake George. There have been claims that the restaurant may sit on an ancient Indian burial ground.
Haunted History: There have been claims of pots being knocked down in the kitchen area. People have also felt a sudden chill go through there body.
A Brief History: The town of Lake George was not settled until after the American Revolution. James Caldwell realized that this area could serve as a major trade route into Canada for industrialization to occur in this area. Once Caldwell realized that this area had a lot of value to it, he went ahead and purchased many acres of land and originally called the town Caldwell. In 1817 Caldwell donated a piece of land for the courthouse to be built on. Construction began and the courthouse was completed by the end of 1817. On October 26, 1843 a fire broke out in the courthouse and destroyed the entire building. The courthouse was rebuilt and completed in the fall of 1845, costing $3,975.00. Over the next 45 years there was changes to the courthouse such as in 1845 a jail was established in the basement of the courthouse. In 1878 the front tower was built, which was partially used as the judges chambers In 1885 the expansion of the tower was built and was used for the County Clerk’s Office. In the 1890’s a new two-story jail was built. It is said that in 1858 during the Presidential debates, Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas debated in the courthouse.
In 1845 the original jail was located in the basement of the courthouse, and could hold about 16 inmates. The conditions were called a joke. The prisoners could communicate with the outside world be cause there were open vents that led right out side of the jail. The prisoners were able to work in town to pay off debts owed, and while they were in jail, there were no real duties to be performed, so the prisoners would play cards, and hang out and smoke all day long. In 1890 the new two story jail was built behind the courthouse were conditions became more stricter on the prisoners.
The most famous trial that occurred in this courthouse was the Willett Trial in 1883. On October 10, 1883 George H. Willett was found guilty of murder by using a pistol to kill John Pair in the local barbershop. He was sentenced to be hung on December 2, 1883. While in jail awaiting his sentence he was able to raise enough money to have a 2nd trial with better legal aid. The legal aid was a huge help and Willett was found not guilty from the 2nd trial. After the trial he was let free and was never seen again.
In 1963 a new Courthouse was built several miles out of the main town and left the Old Warren Courthouse abandoned. In 1973 the Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and was turned into a museum of what you see it today.
Haunted History: Through the years there have been many unexplainable things that have occurred in the courthouse. There has been whistling heard from the courthouse when no one is there. Employees have claimed that radios will turn on and off on their own. There are chairs in the library that will suddenly have water on them. Visitors have also claimed to have seen an apparition of a prisoner in the jail cell.
The State University of New York at Brockport, NY began
its existence in 1841 while known as the Brockport Collegiate Institute. In
1942 it became known as SUNY Brockport. The University resides in upstate
New York, alongside the Erie Canal. Today the University is a bustling
community which supports the town that essentially grew up around it.
Like many colleges, SUNY Brockport is said to have a
lesser known paranormal population. One of the most well known of these
campus locations is Hartwell Hall. This building is one of the oldest on the
campus. Over the years the cleaning staff has claimed to hear people in the
halls, and doors opening and closing when no one else in the building. One
person has claimed to feel someone grab her shoulder while she was cleaning
a classroom. When she turned around there was no one else there. The same
person claims that one day she slipped off a ladder and some unseen force
caught her and gently placed her on the ground. Hartwell Hall used to have
an active pool in its basement. While it’s no longer there, splashing is
sometimes still heard by those who enter the basement.
One other account of paranormal activity is
from a suite at Mortimer Hall. Mortimer Hall is one of the older dorm
complexes on the campus. The suite is said to be the home of a spirit who
committed suicide there in the 1970s. A brief examination of this story
seems to support the suicide claim. The girls staying inside the suite
claimed to have personal items disappear and reappear shortly after in
different locations. The personal effects weren’t moved by the girls. One of
the students woke up one night to a bright light hovering above her bed. She
says it hovered there for a short period of time, then moved to a corner and
disappeared as she called her boyfriend in fear. Lights in the room were
said to turn themselves on in the middle of the night.
Click Here for
our investigation of this site.
long island new york ny paranormal ghost spirit investigation demonic evp haunting ghost
haunted investigators group paranormal
Return to Haunted Long
This site is Copyright © Long Island Paranormal Investigators 2003-2014, All Rights Reserved