A Brief History: The courthouse of Colonial Williamsburg is located at 101 W Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg VA. The courthouse was constructed in 1771 and served as a local courthouse and site of revolutionary wartime legislation. For example, The Treaty of Paris was announced at the Williamsburg courthouse. The building was acquired by Colonial Williamsburg in 1928 and it became a historical museum along with many other structures in the area.

Haunted History: The courthouse was located in close proximity to the gallows where local criminals were hanged. Additionally, during The Battle of Williamsburg during the Civil War many buildings in the area, the courthouse included, were used as field hospitals and saw a grotesque amount of death. Therefore, it is the spirits of hanged men and southern soldiers believed to haunt the grounds of the building.