A Brief History: The Derby House is located at 168 Derby Street Salem Massachusetts. Originally built 1762, The Derby House was a wedding present for Elias Hasket and Elizabeth Crowninshield Derby. The two raised their family there for 20 years as Hasket amassed a great deal of wealth converting his cargo ships into privateering vessels during the Revolutionary War, which he then used to help establish the East India trade after the war ended. The house was then sold in 1796 to the Prince family, who lived there and operated the West India Goods Store next door until they sold the house in 1827. The Derby House changed hands many times after that, serving as a tenement house for Polish mill workers, until it was purchased in the early part of the 20thcentury by the Historic New England Company (formerly the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities). The house was restored to its 18thcentury splendor, and it was moved to its current location in the Salem Maritime National Historic Site in 1938.
Haunted History: There are claims of visitors seeing a woman in period clothing look out of the 2ndfloor window and then disappear. People have also claimed to see the apparition of a man walking on the ground of the Derby House and then just disappear.