A Brief History: Located on the campus of Gettysburg College at 300 N Washington St, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; Christ Chapel functions as the center of religious life for the college. Completed in October 1954, Christ Chapel can seat more than 1500 people and houses the Offices of Religious and Spiritual Life that caters to the needs of the college’s student population no matter their creed. While the history of the exact spot where the Chapel was erected is not exactly known, it is safe to assume that the land has bared witness to a myriad of human suffering with all that was going on at the college during the Battle of Gettysburg.
Haunted History: People have claimed to feel a sudden drop in temperature while sitting in the chapel. People have also claimed to see a shadow person walking the grounds outside of the chapel.
Brief History: Located in Gettysburg College and built in the late 1880s. Glatfelter Hall has been renovated many times. It is currently home to the departments of: Anthropology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Political Science, Management, and Sociology. The campus itself was used as a field hospital and communications outpost during the civil war.
Haunted History: There are many apparitions said to be walking around the hall. The most famous is that of a young girl who roams the halls. It is said that a young couple climbed to the top of the bell tower with the intention of committing suicide. Her lover did not follow through with their pact and only she ended up jumping. It is said that she only appears to young men trying to lure them into jumping to join her in death.
A Brief History: Glatfelter Lodge is located on the campus of Gettysburg College in Gettysburg Pennsylvania, where it has stood since 1891. The structure was built originally as the Sigma Chi Chapter House and housed fraternity members throughout the 1900s. Today the lodge is used for holding religious services as well as special events and staff meetings.
Haunted History: There have been reports of hearing banging sounds coming from the lodge late at night when no one is present in the building. Students have also claimed to have heard conversations going on in the building when the lodge was empty.
A Brief History: Hanson Hall is a dormitory located on the east quad of campus at Gettysburg College. It was built in 1949 and opened in the fall of 1950. It gets its name from a former President of the college named Henry W. A. Hanson who was the college’s president from1923to 1952. During the Battle of Gettysburg, both the Union and Confederates occupied this location at one point as a field hospital and communications outpost. Once the war was over the school also had its own military troops, the 26thPennsylvania Emergency Military Regiment.
Haunted History: There have been reports from the students in the area to hear sounds of crying and moaning late at night. Students also have claimed to have an uneasy feeling walking up to the building at night.
A Brief History: Located at Gettysburg College, was built in 1832 and was founded by an anti-slavery theologian Samuel Simon Shumucker. It became Gettysburg College in 1921, after President Dwight Eisenhower became increasingly involved with the institution and at this time an office at the college still holds his name.
The Joseph Theater, now known as Breidenbaugh Hall currently specializes in hands-on Liberal Arts courses, but during the Battle of Gettysburg it served as something much more monumental. It was used as a makeshift field hospital that provided health care including amputations and surgeries for many of the injured soldiers.
Haunted History: Due to the traumatic events that occurred in Gettysburg College while it served as a hospital, many paranormal sightings have been reported. Two female administrators have reported witnessing blood soaked doctors amputating and tossing limbs into a corner of the room. Numerous reports of seeing a Civil war officer called The General have also been documented.
Norris Wachob Alumni House
A Brief History: Located at Gettysburg College in Gettysburg Pennsylvania, the Norris Wachob Alumni House, formerly known as The White House, is located on the campus of Gettysburg College. It was built in 1860 for Henry Lewis Baugher, Gettysburg College’s 2nd President, and for his family. In 1863, during the Battle of Gettysburg, the Confederate Army took control of the buildings of Gettysburg College. Many buildings were used as hospitals, including The Norris Wachob Alumni House. Currently, the building is used as an office for alumni relations.
Haunted History: There have been claims of smelling an unusual cigar smoke coming from certain rooms of the house. People have also reported seeing an soldier appear and disappear. There have also been claims of hearing cannon fire in the early morning before any reenactments would take place.
A Brief History: Built in 1837, Pennsylvania Hall is Gettysburg College’s oldest building. Formerly known as the Old Dorm, it was renamed in 1898. It is used now as the college’s central administrative building. It was used as a hospital for the wounded soldiers during the Civil War and had been at one point taken over by each army. It is said that General Robert E. Lee used the cupola as a lookout point during wartime.
Haunted History: There was a strange encounter by two college administrators in the 1980’s in Pennsylvania Hall. Taking the elevator to the main level, they pressed the button. It bypassed the command and continued down into the basement. When the doors opened there was no sound, but an operating civil war hospital before them. They claimed to have seen medical staff working on soldiers, limbs being amputated and many bodies of the fallen. As the doors closed once again, one of the passengers said a doctor looked up at them. They found a security officer and brought them to the scene but there was no trace of anything they had just witnessed. That basement was used for storage and there was no trace of anyone having been there.
The building’s Cupola is known for its sightings. Students have claimed to see soldiers atop the cupola, taking aim at them. In one case they had gone to security about it, thinking it was a real person. The security officer went up to check but found no one there. The door was locked with no sign of entrance.
A Brief History: Stevens Hall is located at Gettysburg College. The hall was built in 1868 and was originally used as a preparatory school for the college. Stevens Hall is the 4th oldest building at Gettysburg College. Stevens Hall became a dormitory for the college sometime in the early 1900s. Stevens Hall got it’s name from Thaddeus Stevens, which is one of the founders of Gettysburg College. He was also a congressman before and after the civil war. Thaddeus Stevens was also the author for the 14th Amendment, which states that any person born within the United States of America is a citizen of the country, and during the timeframe of the civil war this also included slaves.
Haunted History: In the early 1900s there was a young boy who lived nearby, who would get abused from his parents, so he would take refuge from the girls living in the dorm room. One night while the boy was taking refuge in the dorm, the headmistress was checking all of the floors, so the girls hid the boy outside of their window. After the headmistress left, the girls checked on the boy and discovered that he was gone. The girls checked the grounds outside of the hall but couldn’t find any sign of the boy. Many students through the years that have stayed at Stevens Hall claim that on a cold winter night they would hear cries from outside, and when they would look outside of the window they would see a blue boy shivering in the cold and then disappear.
A Brief History: Weidensall Hall is a building on the Gettysburg College campus located at 300 North Washington Street in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. The building was constructed between 1919 and 1922 and served as an on-campus YMCA. While use of the building was intended for the Christian student body, it served as a student center for all students and even housed a swimming pool on the basement level. The building underwent several renovations over the years and was officially converted into Weidensall Hall in 1937. In 1945 an electrical fire consumed the building and left little behind, leading to the full reconstruction of the building in 1948. After reconstruction, the building continued to serve as a student center, café, and administrative office space. An updated student center was constructed across campus in 1958, at which time Weidensall Hall took on an academic role which it still holds today, serving as classroom space and offices for various liberal arts departments including the religion and philosophy departments.
Haunted History: There have been claims of feeling hot spots throughout the building. There have also been reports of screaming coming from one of the rooms but when security checks it out no one is to be found. There have also been claims of seeing an apparition of a man in gray walking back and fourth.