A Brief History: Huguenot Cemetery is located on A1A Orange Street, St. Augustine Florida, across from the historic city gates. Huguenot Cemetery was established in 1821 and was one of two cemeteries in St. Augustine at that time. The cemetery became famous as the only burial grounds for those that were not Catholic. During this same year an epidemic of yellow fever which cost the lives of many of the St. Augustine residents. Huguenot Cemetery was acquired and maintained by the Presbyterian Church in 1832 until it was closed for good in 1884. There are approximately 436 people buried at this location.
A Haunted History: There are many haunted tales from Huguenot cemetery. The most famous one is the spirit of Judge John B. Stickney. Judge Stickney was one of the most well liked and respected members of the Saint Augustine community. He died in 1882 from Typhoid fever while on a trip to Washington D.C leaving behind his children. Years later his children wanted the body to be moved closer to the family and had it exhumed to be moved. At some point during the process thieves robbed the casket stealing the judges gold teeth and a few other valuables. There are reports of the judge roaming the grounds during both the day and night searching for the thieves. The other famous story to come out of Huguenot Cemetery is that of a 14-year-old girl who fell victim to the yellow fever epidemic. It is said that when she died there was no one to claim her and no identification on her. Her body was thrown into a pauper’s tomb and is seen up in the trees usually between Midnight and 2am. There are also reports of the sounds of a man laughing as well as strange mists, orbs, and shadow people.