LAUREL HILL CEMETERY


A Brief History: Laurel Hill Cemetery is located on the grounds of Grey Towers National Historic Site 151 Grey Towers, Milford Pennsylvania. Established in 1821, it has 112 graves consisting of unmarked pauper’s stones and elaborate obelisks for the well to do. Most burials took place between 1821 and 1899. Laurel Hill is the burial site for many of Milford PA’s earliest families including the famed Pinchots. You’ll also see other prominent family names such as Quick, Bowhanan and Gooding.


In 1868, the main Milford Cemetery was dedicated and Laurel Hill fell to the wayside, leaving the site in disrepair. In 1963, the Pinchots donated Grey Towers and Laurel Hill Cemetery to the USDA Forest Service, which has since begun rehabilitation of the site many years ago.


Haunted History: Visitors have claimed to have seen a woman in white standing in the middle of the cemetery and then just disappear. Visitors have also clamed to have heard sounds of whispering when no one else is around.