MYSTIC SEAPORT

OLD SCHOOLHOUSE

A Brief History: The Old Schoolhouse is located at 75 Greenmanville Avenue, Mystic Connecticut. The Boardman School was been built as early as 1765 in Preston, Connecticut. It was named for the family whose land was next to the school property. The school was part of Griswold School District 7 and was used for six generations. The school was moved to Mystic Seaport in 1949 along with several desks, a wood stove and a blackboard. The students who attended this school were required to learn many subjects including reading, writing, grammar, geography and arithmetic. Advanced students may have learned Latin, French or algebra.


Haunted History: Visitors have claimed to have seen a little boy in period clothing hanging around the schoolhouse and then just disappear.