OLD BETHPAGE VILLAGE RESTORATION

Benjamin House


A Brief History: The Benjamin House is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York.The Benjamin House was built in 1829 by William F. Benjamin, an affluent farmer and Congregational minister. Benjamin also served as a pastor for the Poosepatuck and Shinnecock tribes on Long Island. The house was originally built on Sound Avenue in Northville.


Haunted History: Staff has claimed that objects will move around the house over night. When the staff open up in the morning objects that were left in a particular area are moved to a different area of the house.


Conklin House


A Brief History: The Conklin House is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York. The Conklin House, a fisherman’s cottage was originally built in 1820 in Smithtown by Thomas Hallock. Walt Whitman was said to have lived here shortly while he was teaching school. The house was purchased by Joseph Hull Conklin in 1853 after he had married Thomas Hallock’s niece Thankful Hallock. Joseph Conklin was originally in the carriage business but became a bayman where he worked in making decoys, duck hunting, fishing, clamming, and eel spearing after buying the house. In 1965, the house was moved to the Old Bethpage Village Restoration and was restored to 1850 where it remains today.


Haunted History: There have been many paranormal claims that have occurred in the Conklin house. From hearing loud banging, footstep, voices, and seeing shadow people. There has been said to be a woman dressed in 1800s period cloths who looks at you from the top of the stairs. Some have seen the ghost of a little boy who was said to have been disabled and was shut away inside the house. The spirit of a gentleman was also seen and claimed the house belonged to him and everyone should leave. The house gives off such an uncomfortable feeling that people have refused to even step inside.

Cooper House


A Brief History: The Cooper House is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York.The Cooper House was the home of the brilliant inventor Peter Cooper. The home was built in 1815 in Hempstead and was eventually moved to Old Bethpage. Peter Cooper invented an endless chain; the first lawn mower and designed and constructed the first steam locomotive in the United States. He was also a cabinet maker, haymaker, brewer and grocer. He ran for president in 1876 losing to Rutherford B. Hayes. He was part owner in three telegraph companies and supervised the laying of the first transatlantic cable. Cooper was very active in the anti-slavery movement and became involved in Indian reform. He was the head of the New York City Public School Society and built Cooper Union College, which granted full scholarships to all students up until fall of 2015.


Haunted History: People have claimed to have heard a knocking sound coming from the room next to the one they were in and when they go to see what it is the knocking stops. People also claim to have felt a sudden cold spot form and then dissipate.

Dr. Searing House


A Brief History: Dr. Searing House is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York. Originally constructed around 1795, the building stood on Henry Street in Hempstead. Dr. James Searing, a former colonial surgeon that volunteered to serve at the battle of Ticonderoga, purchased the house from a family member in 1815. Considered a palatial estate for the times, the residence served as a base of operations for the doctor’s dental, chemical, and surgical practices. The building saw four generations of Searing doctors practicing medicine and surgeries before eventually being phased out. In 2003 the building was donated to the Old Bethpage Village Restoration. After sitting untouched for eleven years, in 2011 the History Channel awarded Old Bethpage Village Restoration a 25 thousand dollar grant to restore the Doctor Searing House, and it finally opened to the public in 2014.


Haunted History: Visitors have claimed to see what looks like a candle light in the house when the house is closed for the day. When they go to look into the window for it, it appears that there is no light.

Hewlett House


A Brief History: The Hewlett House is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York. The Hewlett house was built in the 1795 in Piquet Lane in Woodbury NY. It was inhabited by the Hewlett family, Lewis Hewlett a farmer, and a direct descendant to the Hewlett family. The house was moved to the Old Bethpage Village after the 1960s and restored to the way it looked in 1840. There are some famous people that have visited the village one of them being Matthew Broderick.


Haunted History: Some unusual happenings take place in and outside the Hewlett House. There is said to be initials carved above the fireplace that are said to disappear and reappear. One of the workers there claimed to have been leaning over the fireplace and felt as if a hand touched her on her shoulder. When she turned around there was no one there. That was the first day they noticed the initials. Another visitor reported being drawn to the stairs every time she entered the home. She succumbed to her feelings one day and traveled up the stairs to find a noose hanging from the top of the stairwell. People have claimed to feel uneasy and dizzy upon entering the threshold of the home. Security guards claimed to have heard voices in the home and decided to check it out having the door lock behind him and him jumping out of the window out of fear rather than wait for help to come. There have also been sightings of a woman in white on the premises circling the Hewlett House.

Kirby House


A Brief History: The Kirby House is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York. Originally located in Hempstead on the corners of Clinton and Front Street, the Kirby house was built and occupied by a tailor, Richard D. Kirby. The house was built in 1839. Now located at the Old Bethpage Village Restoration, the house was restored to a typical house in 1845.


Haunted History: Visitors claim to have heard footsteps from the 2ndfloor and when they went upstairs to look they saw an apparition of a woman in period clothing standing by the window and then disappear.

Lawrence House


A Brief History: The Lawrence House is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York. Formerly located on 14thAvenue in College Point Queens, the Lawrence house is a late 18thcentury farmhouse. Built in 1770 successful farming and real estate families owned the house up until the 19thcentury. In the early 19th century the house underwent substantial restoration, including a move to its current location of Old Bethpage Village. Notable owners include the purchaser Leonard Lawrence and his son Gilbert Lawrence. Today the building is used for educational programs along with the other buildings located within the Old Bethpage Village Restoration.


Haunted History: Visitors have claimed to see a male apparition roaming the in and outside of the house and then disappear. Workers at the house have claimed to have heard the sounds of glass breaking on the 2ndfloor but when they go and see what the sounds were there was nothing there.

Layton General Store


A Brief History: The Layton General Store is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York. Originally built in 1866, it served as a department store of its time. It sold everything from groceries to bolts of cloth to serve Long Island farmers. The near-original building showcases the store in one half of the building, as well as the Layton residence in the other half. The Layton’s were believed to be financially well off, as they owned a hotel in East Norwich as well. If visited today, visitors have the ability to tour the classically restored Layton residence inclusive of two upstairs bedrooms, a living room, and a kitchen with a sink-pump, which indicates indoor plumbing. The Layton General Store is the only building on site that includes the amenity of indoor plumbing. The general store was frequently visited by President Theodore Roosevelt who lived at his nearby Sagamore Hill estate.


Haunted History: Many visitors and staff have had paranormal experiences throughout the restoration village. Within the Layton General Store, visitors have claimed to have heard the sound of boots on the second floor floorboards, though no one was up there.

Luyster Store


A Brief History: The Luyster Store is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York. Luyster Store is a general store originally located near the intersections of 25A & 106 in East Norwich NY. The store itself was built in 1820 and stands today as it once was in 1840 and is a landmark within the Old Bethpage Village Restoration. The restoration itself was built to preserve the history of the county. General stores were common places of congregation and even trade. Some items that were popularly purchased at the Luyster Store were corn brooms, molasses, and lamp oil. In the 1960’s Nassau County permanently moved the Luyster Store to preserve its legacy and history.


Haunted History: Some of the employees claim to have seen apparitions that were not of this time, dressed in period garbs.

Noon Inn


A Brief History: The Noon Inn is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York.The Noon inn was built in 1840 and was originally located at the crossroads of East Meadow Avenue and Prospect Avenue in East Meadow NY. When the Noon Inn was in its prime it was used as a local drinking spot and as an Inn to spend the night for travel goers. Once it closed down the Inn was used for storage. When the Inn was closed there were claims of vagrants staying there for a short period of time. Now the Noon Inn is restored to what it looked like in 1850 at the Old Bethpage Village Restoration. It is open to the public and they even sell root beer and pretzels.


Haunted History: There was a legend that says kids use to break into the Noon Inn when it was used for storage. One man who was sleeping at the Noon Inn confronted them and stabbed the 3 kids killing them. The man was confronted and confessed to the crimes. People say they see the faces of 3 kids in the window. This legend has supposedly been discredited by an old owner. Some of the new claims for the Noon Inn as it sits on the Old Bethpage Village property are claims of hearing laughter coming from inside the house when no one is there. Visitors have also claimed to have heard heavy footsteps from the 2ndfloor when no one is there.

Powell House


A Brief History: The Powell House is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York.In 1695 Thomas Powell formally purchased his farm land from three Native American tribes in what is known today as The Bethpage Purchase. Old Bethpage Restoration Village was built in 1963 when Nassau County gained ownership of the 165 acre Powell Family Farm. The Powell House is the only building original to the Old Bethpage Village site. It was built in 1750 and restored to how it looked in 1855. It was a typical farmhouse on Long Island and has gone through many additions over the years. It has been part of the living museum since the village opened in 1970.


Haunted History: Visitors have claimed to see a man in old clothing walking around the house and then disappear. People have claimed to have heard heavy footsteps on the 2ndfloor when there was no one there. Visitors have also claimed to have seen a shadow man poke his head in from one of the rooms and then disappear.

Underhill Barn


A Brief History: The Underhill Barn is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York. The Underhill Barn was built in 1995 on the property of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration and was a replica of the Mineola Fair Building from 1860.The barn has cathedral ceilings and is 8000 square feet and can hold up to 300 guests. It is now used for all types of events including weddings.


Haunted History: Visitors have claimed to have heard a conversation coming from inside of the barn and when they went inside to check it out there was no one there. Workers have also claimed while inside of the barn they get a sudden feeling like there being watched.

Williams House


A Brief History: The Williams House is part of the Old Bethpage Village Restoration located at 1303 Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage New York. The Williams house once stood in New Hyde Park N.Y. on Old Court House Road. The house was built in 1820 by Henry Williams, a farmer and master carpenter. He resided at the house with his family which consisted of himself his wife and 6 children. The entire family took part in tending to the nearly 100-acre farmland. The original family resided in the home until the 1860’s. When you visit the house you will see that it has 8 rooms which are decorated with a lot of the Williams family possessions. It is open to the public along with several other transplanted historic buildings.


Haunted History: There are many stories floating around about the Williams House being haunted. One of my favorite stories is that a woman was in the house and picked up a small teacup. She heard a voice say “Put my teacup down” and of course she did and left the room in a hurry. Tour guides have said that they here footsteps coming from the second floor hallway and down the stairs. One day I was there with my family and a tour guide said that people have reported looking in one particular mirror and seeing a man’s reflection from the 1800’s time period.