A Brief History: The first lighthouse on this sight was built in 1824 and was one of the first of its kind on Long Island. After the Civil War, in 1869 a second lighthouse was constructed in front of the existing one. The new one was considerably larger to accommodate the increasing maritime traffic. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1933, and became a public park. It was short-lived however; during World War II the property was taken back by the federal government in order to station the Coast Guard there for defense. After the war, the land was returned to the public and in 1991, the lighthouse was once again returned to use. The original lighthouse keeper’s home is the only original structure that remains on the property.

Haunted History: Many visitors to the lighthouse have claims of feeling a roaming cold spot while walking around. People have also claimed to have seen a white mist floating on the grounds and then just disappear.