A Brief History: The Setauket Neighborhood House was originally built in the 1700s but was moved in 1820 to its current location of 95 East Main Street Setauket-East Setauket, New York. The structure was moved by Dr. John Elderkin for whom it served as a private residence. After Dr. Elderkin’s death his son took over ownership and in 1836 heavily renovated the building in order to establish it as “The Elderkin Inn”. The inn served as lodging and as a popular stop along local stagecoach routes for many years before changing hands again. In 1918 the property was purchased by the Childs couple who further renovated the property before donating it to the community. To this day the building still serves as the site of community meetings and events.
Haunted History: Visitors have claimed to have an uneasy feeling in the hallway and feel unusual cold spots. People passing by the house late at night have seen a woman in white looking out a 2ndfloor window and then disappear.