THE COMMISSIONER’S HOUSE


A Brief History: Located at the Royal Naval Dockyard in Bermuda, the Commissioner’s House was built in the 1820’s. It was the first ever cast iron house in the world. The frame was cast in England and brought over to Bermuda. It was lived in by the commissioner of the dockyard from 1827-1837, when it was taken over by the British Army. It became the Royal Marine barracks in 1862. After World War II it became the Bermuda Maritime and then the National Museum of Bermuda. The restoration of the building took 25 years and it has been open to the public since 2000.


Haunted History: While there are no reported cases of the Commissioner’s House being haunted, it’s easy to see how it could be a popular hang out for the spiritual realm. It has a long history and has seen many things over the years. There are also many artifacts from Bermuda and from all over the world, including those that document the slave trade, shipwrecks, and excavations.