TYLER-JAYNE TAVERN


A Brief History: The Tyler-Jayne Tavern is located at 2 Tavern Way, Setauket- East Setauket, New York. During the Revolutionary War, the tavern was owned and operated by John Tyler. During the war, a bloody massacre took place due to British troops looking for deserters. The troops fired on innocent people in the Tavern and after the chaos subsided, four Americans were found dead. Bullets from the massacre have been found in the house to this day. Its been widely surmised that there were constant visits from the Culper Spy-Ring whose missions helped General George Washington gather intelligence during the Revolution.


In the early 1800s, Morris Jayne purchased the tavern, and named it Jayne Tavern. In 1865, the tavern closed, converted back to a home and moved to its current location on Tavern Way.


Haunted History: There have been claims of people hearing gunshots and then people screaming from the house when there is no one there. People have also claimed to have seen an apparition of a man walking back and forth in the front of the house and then just disappear.