U.S. CUSTOMS HOUSE


A Brief History: The U.S. Customs House is located at 150 Bank Street in New London Connecticut. The U.S. Customs House was designed and built between 1833 and 1835. The building was designed by Robert Mills, the same man who designed the Washington monument. In 1983, the building became a maritime museum which boasted local maritime history as well as many other exhibitions from lighthouses to knots and other galleries. The building also still operates as a customs office, and happens to be the oldest such operating office in the entire country. Today, the building houses the New London Maritime Society, and is available for tours and museum visits to learn about the vast maritime history of New London, Connecticut.


Haunted History: Visitors have claimed to have seen a shadowy figure roaming around inside the building and outside on the property. People have also claimed to have felt an eerie presence while inside.